Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Old school

Ok Ok I get it.
I ragged on a photographer in my previous post which made me think about why I ragged on him.

Let's get right to it. One reason is because some of the techniques he demostrated in the pre-conference class were very basic. What he did was tried to pass off techniques that what he perceived some great God taught him, and passed it off as his own. Essentially he was "selling" abc,s of photography. Which you should already know the first time you took photography a little more serious. Or when you bought that big camera.

Ok so that made me think about the photographer that I worked with and I thought wow this guy knows what he's talking about. He has been in business as long as I have known say 15 or more years which in my area is pretty amazing since everything else besides olan mills has come and gone. He shot my wedding.

Then I realized this guy is the same guy as the photoshop flake and at that point I realized these guys are both old school shisters.
www.urbandictionary.com
1. Shister
One who speaks bullsh#t fluently in order to fool people out of money or other possesions, often associated with used-car salesmen or photography.
That shister just talked me into paying for his ticket.

What these guys have learned and are teaching is that customers have no clue or care about quality. Customers want someone they know who is well known, or who is cheap.

Peeple dont value quality work or long term commitments.
I find this sad as hell because one of the things that drives me is crazy is that 10 years later I am still looking at my wedding photos and saying wow, I wish we didnt go with the cheap guy who didn't know how to focus his camera.

A great photographer told me that there are four occasions where quality is a essential,
1.Life
2.Baptism (insert religion or term/practice of choice)
3.Wedding day
4.Death. I know it sounds morbid but think about it.

Now if you take that into consideration think about all of the other occasions why quality is essential.
I can think of one or two at this very point in time.
How is your child's senior photo?
Graduation, only happens once hopefully twice. Those are glorious occasions that you should document forever.

I know I still have my moments in time documented and most of the photos are still in good quality.(besides my wedding) but I'm still married. For better or for worse until death do we part.

I'm not saying you need to rush out and get a a pro either, but it helps, and not just someone just trying to make a buck. It should never be "just alright" or tucked away. If you got it flaunt it.

Point here is to think about what you want, not who you want, the who will follow the what if you look in the right place.

Don't be cheap ask momma she will tell you "Yeah I still have your ___ picture". Or look at me there or now.
Followed by Wow

Thanks for taking the time.
enjoy.

No comments: